

RVV Meeting July 17, 2019

In Attendance: Ashley, Darius, Barbara, Ross, Ashley c. Chad Day, Brian, Dan, Eric, Dionne, Joe G.

Ross: Call the meeting to order. Any additions or corrections? A motion to approve? All approved.

Chad: Deposits were minimum. Travel Grants Pass paid before the annual meeting, \$1500. They're breaking it up over payments. No outstanding expenses with the exception of Lookout. We're waiting on our non-profit status. I have been in contact the Dept of Treasury. I responded to a letter they sent on July 1st. We have another 60 days or so to review. I will follow up with them. We have about \$50,000 coming toward out bank account.

Ross: Marketing update... we can wait on BAT until Bob is here.

Ashley: We need to shore up what our plans are for receiving the toolkit from Lookout. We need to sort out how our processes will work. We need more discussion around committees and processes.

Ross: Some committees are in place but in park until we get further down the road. Membership is an active committee. Finance is involved as funds come in. Marketing--- I don't know what we can do until we have that roadmap from Lookout.

Steve: Should communications be under preview of marketing?

Ross: I don't know... as time goes on marketing will be more clear cut. The communications committee should probably be added. They should work with marketing but the need for clear, transparent communications will be running. I'm not opposed to all to expanding another committee, so a total of 5 committees. Communications is really important right now. We want to maintain that momentum.

Dionne: There will be some cross-over with marketing. Holly will provide a template and tone.

Ross: That elevator speech across the board will be important. The roadmap delivery will come sometime in Fall. Step 1 of the marketing plan. Thought processes and ideas.

Ashley: When we get the plan it'll be a get on the ground running. That's taking a long time. From a logo to a website, and all the platforms.... Those are big pieces to the marketing plan.

Barbara: That communication of timeline isn't very clear.

Ross: One of the things... regardless of the marketing plan we'll have to have funds in place to implement it. We all know, you can spend a lot of money marketing... when we have that roadmap, we need to figure out what we can do and what is most effective. That'll be working with Holly to go down this road and do it effectively within the budget boundaries as well.

Steve: Holly will provide an overview plan for us to put into the works/function. We're going to have to do a lot of work to identify placements and to get to the work where we're actually implementing it. Including creating a website.

Ross: I'm sure that's part of the process. This comes back to monetarily. It'll take some tie for all of us to chart the course.

Steve: We'll have to do RFPs for web development and such. It's a process.

Barbara: What should happen is we get that marketing document and figure out who to implement. Who's the right ED and what can we afford? That'll give us that next burst of action.

Steve: We can't just release the document to marketing. We need to involve finance.

Ross: Yes, I wish that was just easy.

Dionne: Amira wrote an article for the last Wine Scene and it was last minute, but Whit offered we could have the space again. We'd have to pay for the writing ie: \$1 per word. We'd like to recap the annual meeting in a new article for Fall.

Steve: I think there is an article in our brand.

Ross: He needed the new article in the next 3 weeks.

Ashley: This is a 6 month issue.

Steve: Do we know how effective Wine Scene is?

Ross: We're asking, do we want to do another article in Wine Scene. My connotation is "sure" have her do another one. Wine Scene is out there. Its in all of our tasting rooms, hotels and travel areas.

Laurel: I can send around the Mail Chimp metrics to everyone.

Ross: We need to keep the newsletter going. The outside articles aren't that expensive. It gets RVV out around and beyond our industry. It gives a toe in the door for what RVV will become.

Ashley Camp: It also shows the industry that we are active.

Chad: I think its good that we get out beyond our local industry.

Joe: I think it's a valuable thing for membership.

Ross; do we have consensus? Yes, let's move forward.

Ashley: Join the efforts here. And link to the website.

Dan: Southern Oregon Magazine might also pick up the story if its written slightly differently.

Barbara: Its also leveraging what we're creating.

Dionne: We'd probably need to get permission from Whit.... Or chat about it.

Dan: I'd run it by him and see what it says. If we write it differently.

Dionne: It's worth asking.

Ross: With head nods we can go ahead and proceed.

Dionne: Ashland Chamber wants a blurb for Living and Doing Business. Amira has a little bit I can send around and see if anyone wants to fine tune.

Ross: Let's read it here.

Dionne: Reads paragraph.

Ross: That's good. I think that's great to be included.

Dionne: I'll send it out to an email.

Dan: It's interesting that Southern Oregon is mentioned so many times.

Ross; Bob- BAT committee report and logo.

Bob: I sent this around. Barba and Steve can attest. We went back and forth went around a number of times. Now we're pulling this back to these three. If today we say, "yes" today we could move with this. There are lots of different applications for this. Pulling it apart a bit in the circles works. Holly likes the top left one. If we can say "yes" then Holly can go and start going to town. If we have the articles, we can have stuff they can write about.

Steve: To reiterate the idea behind the multiple color grape cluster, that represents the broad variety of wines... by using it in other forms, you can take one color grape and have it represent other varieties. This becomes the consolidated logo that can be broken out or spread apart.

Bob: we have seen alternate fonts...

Dan: My first impression is that there isn't anything unique with this. Its great it sticks out but....

Steve; She wanted something strong but by making it a thinner.. it adds a softness. I liked it but I agree it looks generic.

Bob: We did see more font applications.... If I can't see Rogue Valley it needed to be strong. That clarity of font was a choice that they made. The creativity is going to come in the application of the font. I can see the cluster be the point of impression.

Steve: Holly says don't get hung up on the fonts so much.... We have to start with one. This is the start but as we develop things can change.

Barbara: Nothing on here says RRV. There will be new fonts.

Bob: There can be sub-fonts.... We'll get a brand style guide once we say yes. I think we're beyond feedback...

Dionne; It has to resonate with another generation. This a wine region that goes beautifully with everything else we have to offer.

Bob: the role of the BAT is to make a recommendation.

Dan: My goal is to make sure.... I like this cluster but I also envision texture, light, sun. The other thing about the river logo.... Lots of people refer to this area as the Rogue River Valley.... We don't want to encourage it. It's "a" river.

Ross: for me I think moving forward, I like the top left. If you go to a brand or patch its hard to tell what it is. It's clean and its those are grapes.

Steve: We're down to voting on two.... If you don't want either we can abstain. We can work with Holly in other areas.

Ross: Let's raise hands. Top left is 8. Top Right – 3 votes. Abstain – 5. I think we need to take the top left to Holly and get some clarification on cluster. Will there be other font applications.

Steve; If I can make a suggestion. We've got the majority that likes upper left. We have 5 obtain... give one sentence. We have a majority of vote and get the feedback. We give her to move forward with that. I would like to give her a one-sentence summary. We have seen others but we didn't like them. Send Bob an email with your feelings about the logo.

Steve: Going to the contract, she's brought us what she said she would. If she has fulfilled her part of the contract and we say we don't like these....

Ashley: I'd like to see the mock-up options.

Ross: We're not asking her to take a step back. When the style guide comes out we'd like to see the applications. Everyone communicate to Bob.

Dionne: This is the bible. This is it.

Laura: After our feedback to Holly what happens left.

Bob: Final element is the preview of the style guide applications. The board wants to see more applications beyond the mark.

Steve: My only observation is that the further we get into process the harder it is to change. If we can move forward with this one, we're locking ourselves in. We have to be willing to say, Upper left, comments for style guide.

Ashley C: We have to say "yes" to this. If we've run through budget and time... I'm not feeling like there is an option.

Steve: Pick which one and move on....

Steve: as a BAT member I don't want to move forward.

Dan: I think that's where we are. There's nothing wrong with introducing this.

Ross: Let's do what we said we would do. Get comments to bob and have Bob get back to Holly. Top left is majority lean, here's a few questions. Can you provide some clarity.

Bob: I have to say... I am excited. Either one of these are awesome. There's nothing out there that's like this. I can go either one.

Steve: Let's do a right of left, no abstain. Top left is 12. Top right 4.

Ross: I'm on the fence about the river for the stem. I want to stay clear about what we are.

Ashley: We should make sure to take Dan's point.

Steve: Upper left is the vote.

Steve: Feedback to me is always - What I choose to go with or not.

Brian: Vote for the upper left, she can incorporate this into style guide.

Ross: Regardless to marketing plan timing for Fall, do you have any insight Bob?

Bob: no I don't have any clarity for this. I can ask Holly to pivot about timing for marketing plan.

Ross: We have one new member.

Laura: I had someone come up to me that I had joined and didn't hear anything back. When people join we want to acknowledge them for join.

Steve: A membership packet would be good to have when someone joins.

Darius: Should that be from the communications committee?

Ross: we should communicate to them.

Dionne: Maybe a hand-written card from membership....

Chad: I can put a thank you on the receipt.

Ross: maybe its something to look at that we have a "members only portal".

Barbara: It's our policy that any member can come to a board meeting.

Ashley: We should have a portal with assets and messages.

Joe: We need a bit of a sales package and a recognition for joining.

Ross: We have an industry partner recognition option on the website.

Steve: We should look for opportunities to support them with events and others.

Ross; Mission statement discussion. We need to have some clarifying language. An elevator speech in a paragraph. Do we take what we have now and morph a portion of that? Do we have a creative writer?

Brian: We developed a BHAG but we never actually did one. We need to create one as a group.

Barbara: The words are in there but need to flush it out. Do we want until a marketing plan is completed and staff?

Ross: If some of you want to take a stab that would be great. If we could get some ideas for that, examples, at our next meeting we could kick those around.

Brian: If anyone has strong input give me a shout or email. Why it came up.... The longer term goal isn't just tourism but to further the wine industry. Tourism is the right starting point but not the mission of this organization.

Ross: we'll do a mission statement review at the next meeting.

Bob: You can also pull mission and vision statements apart. Vision is where we are going and mission is what we are doing.

Steve: Rogue Valley Wine Country – need to trademark. We could ask Shelia Fox to work on it.

Ross: Dionne, email Sheila and ask what financial heart ache we'll endeavor.

Ashley: let's do an email to membership, call for wines for the solidarity event.

Dionne; If you send me the details Amira can send it out.

Ashley: If someone can go up that would be good. Its Aug 30 10-7 and Sept 7 2 to 5pm. We could ask for volunteers for anyone that signs up. We can only have four total behind the bar. Need 2 people.

Dionne: When people ask to add their name in the hat ask if they volunteer.

Ashley: Oregon mayors are coming down the first week of August. If anyone is interested in having their wine present. Its an on the table situation.

Steve; We have 3 cases left from the annual meeting. They're just sitting there. The board can decide what we do with it.

Ross; We can toss it toward that program.

Ashley: they are asking for 2 cases. Its not just the major but also other people.

Chad: This should go in the newsletter.

Ashley: they will give recognition to RVV on the stage.

Ashley: A lady wants to do some farm worker events. They want to have a sticker the made and sell stickers \$.20 to put on labels. Proceeds will go farm workers.

Steve: that's an opportunity for us to give back to the community.

Ashley: We can have a partnership at the Medford Airport... signage, partnership, etc we can design a program.

Ross; If they can give us some options.... We'll find out how we want to play.

Ashley: We're working on a kiosk for the baggage claim.

Bob: I got a call from Sally Murdoch, needs a list of smoke contacts and wanted to know if there is smoke talking points. I passed on our 3 contacts but didn't say we had any talking points set-up.

Ross: Those are pretty dic.

Bob: We don't use ashtray and taint... I upleveled that, but if you have talking points we can send those to her.

Steve: we might need a fact sheet. OSU doesn't want to do it.

Ross: with a question, contact one of our contacts.

Barb: I think they did follow-up.

